Monday, October 26, 2009

can you believe this?!

My family went to the store (Whole Foods!) the other day - to do some grocery shopping before the weekend. I was browsing through the produce isle, when something caught my eye:


White Asparagus! I took a double take. Yes, it was true, there on the display shelf thingy was white asparagus right next to the normal green asparagus. I looked below it, and saw a sign: ''White Asparagus! Grown underground in Peru with no sunlight. Rich in Vitamin A and C'' What?! Grown underground with no sunlight?! Seriously?! I was rather shocked and went to grab Dad to show him - making sure I wasn't seeing things. Indeed, I was not. Why? Who would have the 'brilliant' idea to grow asparagus underground with no sun? I still don't understand it. It seems very wrong to me - almost a sin. God made asparagus to grow outside WITH sun so the chlorophyll with the sun (or whatever - I'm not a science person) would make it GREEN. Who decided we needed to have white asparagus? Was someone really bored? Creative? Plain goofy? Ach, it just seems sooo wrong to me - and against the natural way that God designed it. Oh the people that like to mess with stuff - going and changing everything. *shakes head solemnly* But, I guess, these are changing times ... whoopee. (heavy sarcasm :P )

On the same underground note ... a good friend of mine sent this to me in an email. It's the story of a few Jewish families surviving underground for almost a year during the Holocaust. It's an amazing story of survival and relying on God for protection. Here's the link - enjoy. http://www.aish.com/jw/s/63053312.html

2 comments:

  1. I think the white asparagus looks cool - tho I've never seen it - have you ever seen purple cauliflower? Now that's not natural!

    Anyway -

    Hi, I'm Rog's (from CP!) older sis, and he gave me your blog, because he knows I love blogs and I always love reading new ones.

    I'm jealous you came out as Anne Elliot in the Jane Austen heroine quiz - I think I would like to be like Anne, and I usually think of my self more like Emma :P - but the quiz said I was Marianne Dashwood! Just goes to show life isn't fair. LOL

    Good luck with calculus! Sounds ... terrifying. :) But have fun!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan! Yep, your brother 'warned' me that you might comment on my blog - thanks a lot for stopping by!! :D

    Purple cauliflower - I think I did see that once, yes! Oh the strange things people do to food!!

    You like Austen too? Nice! I watched "Emma" this afternoon - oooh it's just too good. :)

    Blessings!
    India

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thought(s)! It means a lot. :)