Monday, August 29, 2011

re-discovering a hobby

Oh sweet bananas it's been too long since I've read a good book. I happened to be in the Library with Mom this afternoon, just hanging out with her after dance practice. A trio of colorful books caught my eye, and the next thing I know I'm knee deep in a wonderful, Christian, (dare I say it?), romance novel.

It's been - oh - 3 years maybe? since I last read a romance novel. (for many reasons, actually) And it's been, since before college at least, that I've picked up a fun, truly good, non-school book. I soaked in the author's humor, her thirteen thousand movie references, and the witty characters who lived on coffee and chocolate. Even better though, was the fact that the topic of God's Sovereignty was woven throughout the book, with the characters wrestling with different aspects of that. It was great to 'be a part of'. For the past four hours, it seemed like I was in heaven, then sadly I came to the last page. Thankfully, there are two more books in the series, and a stand-alone novel by the same author (Erynn Mangum, fyi).

Maybe it's a good thing that I don't have ten jobs at the moment.... now I can have more time to get back into a hobby I forgot that I had: reading truly good books for fun. And not only fun, but books that I don't have to write an 8 page essay on afterwards. 

4 comments:

  1. I know that feeling completely! I just got back into reading books in my free time (not for school :O) a few months ago. I hadn't realized how much I missed books until I was talking books with a friend. I even got a Shelfari account to track my progress and keep myself motivated. It's been fun getting back into reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes....I'm a huge Erynn Mangum fan. Which series are you reading? And enjoy them. Enjoy being able to read for the sheer pleasure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel. When you're into College reading you hardly ever read for pleasure.

    I picked up Ishmael by EDEN Southworth 2 months ago and I couldn't put it down, I finished it and the sequel Self-Raised in like 2-3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Caitlin: I just finished the Laurie Holbrook series. So good. :)

    @Kyle: Yes! Ishmael is fantastic! I haven't read the sequel yet though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thought(s)! It means a lot. :)