Friday, November 19, 2010

Thoughts on an empty stomach.

You know what makes me sad? When people debate theology like they are in a war for their very lives. It's just sad, sad, sad. I don't think God is looking down on them and saying "Yes! Those people are doing exactly what I want them to." :P While it is good to talk about and discuss what you believe, it's definitely not good to fight about an issue over and over.

Especially the whole Calvinism/Arminianism debate. I'm probably going to lose friends for saying this, but really, does it matter that much? I was listening to a speaker once (he's the one that got me going on learning Hebrew actually), and he was saying how boring the world would be if everyone agreed on everything the Bible said. It's so true! I think we all see some things in Scripture a little differently - we see them how God wants us, individually, to see them - and we're going to be different from others around us.

Now, there are some things that you should disagree on. For example, if someone is not saved - feel free to argue that! If someone thinks abortion is cool - totally argue that! But - like - reading the KJV Bible vs. something else? Believing in predestination or free will? Seriously, people. Seriously. Arguing and fighting like that isn't exactly loving your neighbor... which, if I recall correctly, is the second most important commandment.

Paul wrote a great sentence about this. "But keep away from foolish questions, and genealogies, and strife and quarrels about the Torah, for they are unprofitable and useless." (Titus 3:9) Unprofitable. Useless. Worse than that, I think it's the very opposite of edification... something we are commanded to do to each other.

With that said, I'm hungry. Time to dig for some breakfast!

Oh, disclaimer. I'm not saying the issues above aren't important. They are. They definitely are. I just don't get why people have to argue about it. And it's not once either. Oh no. It's again, and again.... and I'll stop now. :P

6 comments:

  1. I agree . . . debates between Christians should not turn into harmful arguments with each side restating its position over and over. However, I do think there should be respectful debate based on Scripture. Unfortunately, some debates, like Calvinism vs. Arminianism, are hard to keep respectful - and I'm as guilty as the next man :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deffinitly agree with you.
    Even though the subjects "are" important, you don't need to argue about them continually.

    (i'm pretty hungry too.. to late for breakfast.. guess I'll just have to skip to lunch!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thinking exactly... why does it matter of the rapture happens before or after? Do we go to heaven regardless? YES!!! Glad you posted that... you're right.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I love you India. Simply put I believe that we are not here to critique the Bible, its here to critique us. Good post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed. I pretty much have given up trying to talk to others about some issues that I would like to learn more about, cause it inevitably descends into a fruitless argument. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mac: I agree - respectful debates are a good thing! But like you said, it's hard to keep them respectful oftentimes. :(

    @Lydia: Totally! hehe that's kinda what I ended up doing too.

    @Jon: AMEN!

    @Brit: I love you too, Brit. :) And that's right on.

    @Michael: I know... I've pretty much given up too. Tis sad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thought(s)! It means a lot. :)