Saturday, May 23, 2009

Did Rebecca Overstep?

In reading the Torah this weekend with my family, we were reading in Genesis where Rebecca helps Jacob get the blessing from his father Issac, instead of Esau getting the blessing. Now obviously something had to happen so that Jacob would get the blessing, to make everything come together like it was supposed to. But, the question arises, was Rebecca supposed to get her nose in there?

My family and I were talking, and we were wondering about this. Was it Rebecca's place to interfere like that? In my opinion, no, she shouldn't have. God would have figured something out (obviously) to make Jacob get the blessing instead of Esau. Because of her doing what she did, she forced her son Jacob to sin! He lied to his father (three times I think), pretending to be Esau just to A. obey his mother, and B. get the blessing. After it happened, it just caused so much tension! Jacob had to leave because Esau would have killed him, Issac was upset about it ... I mean no good really came out of it except for the fact that Jacob got the blessing which had to happen.

Which brings another topic up ... how much should the wife ''stick her nose in?'' I think that marriage should be a partnership, but I don't think that the wife should be in control and making decisions like that. Rebecca just took the bull by the horns to get done what was on her agenda. My Mom made the argument ''well, if we didn't step in then nothing would get done!'' I don't know about that. Yes, I think that the woman has lots of good ideas about how to do things - but I think that the she should talk about it with her husband first, instead of just ''going and doing''.

Wouldn't it have been better for Rebecca to talk to Issac about this first? ''Issac, honey, remember when Jacob sold his birthright to Esau that one day? I'm just reminding you because I think Jacob needs to get the blessing instead of Esau.'' Of course, Issac could have told her she was insane and that she had been doing laundry in the hot sun for way too long that day. Or, Issac could have seen the wisdom in that and decided to rightly bless Jacob instead. Oh that would have been so much better, wouldn't it have? Then there would have been no hatred, no lying, no pretending etc.

What do you think? Did Rebecca overstep? How much ''power'' (so to speak) should the woman in a marriage have anyways? It's just something I've been thinking about lately, and trying to figure out. I really don't know because I'm not married, but I think that these things are important to think about. :)

4 comments:

  1. Dear India,

    I believe that yes Rebbecca did overstep. Now God did use her overstepping but a LOT of problems came of it, besides like you said she caused her son to sin. And regarding marriage I believe that the wife shouldn't "stick her nose in" that much. Talking things over with her husband and gently suggesting something is a much better plan. But then of course no one is perfect and no wife is going to ever be able not to stick her nose in. In answer to your mom's argument; many times the reason nothing gets done unless the woman steps in is because the woman gets in the habit of stepping in so the man just lets her to avoid conflict. I have heard someone say that it becomes a vicious cycle, the wife resents the husband because she has to take control but is unwilling to release her position of control. The husband resents that he has to step back but is unwilling to take the responsibility.

    Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lulu,

    Thanks a lot for your comment. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. :)

    India

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing where hitting the "Next blog" button will take you. :D In 1 Samuel 25, there's the story of Nabal disobeying David, the Lord's anointed. Without talking it over with her husband, or even telling him (1 Sam. 25:19) Abigail immediately set out with food to fulfill David's commands.

    In my opinion, when a husband is doing something against the will of God, a wife is not only allowed, but honorbound, act against it. Of course, usually it is much wiser to have a gentle conversation first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jana, thanks for your comment! Ah, good Scripture reference to that story. Right - when it's against God's will you should definitely obey God over man. It will be interesting to see how everything works out once I get married ... :D

    India

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thought(s)! It means a lot. :)