Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Beautiful Silence

I think God likes quiet. I mentioned this in my last post, saying I'd be expounding, so here it is! I was reading Scripture with my family the other night, and we were reading in 1 Kings chapter 6. The part where it talks about Solomon building the second Temple for God. (well, technically the first since the one before was the Tabernacle... oh well) We read verses 8-13, and I found verse 7 to be terribly interesting:

"And the House, when it was being built, was built with finished stone made ready beforehand, so that no hammer or chisel or any iron tool was heard in the House while it was being built." 

Interesting, yes! Does God not enjoy noise? I think He does, sometimes - like when we make a joyful noise to Him - but in this case, He wanted quiet while His Temple was being built. This made me think of the passage when Elijah is looking for God's action to bring rain upon the land. God wasn't in the wind, earthquake, or fire. (think about it, all these are noisy!) No, God came in the 'still small voice' - something quiet. (1 Kings 19:11-12)

Also, check out Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am Elohim;" Usually when one is still, they are quiet, yes? Just got me thinking.

I went for a bike ride today, by myself, and it was beautiful. The earth was quiet (from my perspective), and I got to talk to God for 6+ miles as I rode my bike around in His creation. I think it's sometimes easy to forget God in our noisy, busy world. So more often then not (preaching to myself here), we should turn off the music, tv, computer, even people around us - find a spot to be alone with God, and enjoy the silence in His presence. Not saying, at all, that God isn't present in the noise, but I think it may be easier to really dwell on Him if things are quiet. Agree? Disagree? I'd love to hear your opinion.

2 comments:

  1. God loves a quiet heart but he also loves a vibrant, joyful noise! There are times for both and life is all about those moments.

    I tend to think of quiet moments as the ones when we are the most broken. The loud ones as the ones when we are shouting back our echo of God's heartbeat. Both are amazing. Both are listening and staying in tune with God. The danger is not listening at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, Caitlin! That's definitely a good way to look at it. Thanks for your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thought(s)! It means a lot. :)