Saturday, June 12, 2010

Better? Really?

I was driving home from work one afternoon this past week, listening to K-Love (the only Christian radio station we get that's not crackly), and this song comes on. It's by Amy Grant - called "Better than a Halleluyah."
....
........
..
.......
.....
That stopped me in my tracks. What does she mean ''better'' than a Halleluyah?! Does she even know what Halleluyah means? Halleluyah is the Hebrew word for ''Praise Yahweh'' (which is why I don't spell it with a 'j' - in case you were wondering, there is no 'j' in the Hebrew language). What is better than praising Yahweh? Is there anything better? We are supposed to praise and glorify God in all we do - all the time... so... ?? Yeah, I get the meaning of her song and all (song+lyrics are here) - but still. I just don't know if that's right. Thoughts on that anyone?


Totally off-topic, here's a video of me dancing from the dance recital in May. Sorry, I only have one video so far, but enjoy it anyways ;)

P.S. No offense to anyone who likes the above song. It just caused me to think. :)

5 comments:

  1. I'll chalk it down to "Ignorance of what the word means".

    However, I'm going to go ahead and say, the song has it wrong. Praising God is something we were originally created for. While God does take concern over the "miseries" that we bring to Him, they are a product of sin and the Fall. It's hard to reasonably agree that a product of fallen Creation is in any way better than the original design and purpose God had.


    I'll refrain from ranting on other, more serious, issues I have had with Amy Grant in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you, India. Praising God should be our life. Nothing should be better than that.

    On a diffrent note, I think we will be meeting soon! Eric and I are going to the Iowa get-together and I think you are too, right? Any way if you are going that is really exciting. Eric and I are really excited and are looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mhm - good points. Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking as such. (And yes Chase, seeing as it is Amy Grant, I really shouldn't be surprised, should I? :P )

    YAY! I can't wait to meet you, Kali! And yes, Mom and I are planning on coming. :) I'm excited too - should be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't have said it better myself! :) mm

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so exciting that you and your Mom are coming. I can't wait! And yes, I am wierd like this but....18 more days!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thought(s)! It means a lot. :)