Friday, June 4, 2010

A Great Moment :)

As some of you may know, I volunteer at a place called SPURS which stands for Special People Using Riding Skills. (Acronyms are just too cool!) Doesn't need much more explanation than that... there are classes where special needs people get to ride horse, and it's really an amazing experience for them! Being around horses is relaxing, and riding really helps with balance, motor skills, cognitive skills, etc. Anyway, I'm one of the many people who spends time helping the riders learn to ride! I've worked with lots of different people... but yesterday, I worked with a gal who couldn't speak or hear.

I know a bit of sign language, and we got along pretty well. I was pointing which way to turn her horse, pointing at her then doing ''thumbs up'' when she did something right... there is a sign for ''wait'', one for ''whoa'', one for ''walk on'' etc. ... and she did really well! Interesting to say something to her, then realize she couldn't hear what I was saying. Took a bit getting her attention sometimes - and a bit getting used to communicating... without ever hearing anything.

It was awful special though, when at one point she pointed at me, picked up my hand, and set it on her leg (she was on the horse I was on the ground) then did ''thumbs up''. Such a cool moment! To know that for an hour or so, I can make a bit of a difference in someone's life.... wow. I was pretty humbled. It was pretty cool too, when she waved goodbye and made the sign for ''thank you''. I'm excited to get to work with her again next Thursday... and work on some more sign language stuff between now and then. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thought(s)! It means a lot. :)