Sunday, January 23, 2011

paper plates: muy importante!

You may think I'm crazy for having paper plates in the trunk of my car, but in the story to follow, you might realize that you need paper plates in the trunk of your car as well!!

Friday night - I'm driving 50 miles to babysit for a family. (Yes, it is worth driving that far. The girls I babysit are just great and I get paid well) So after driving on the highway for aways, you turn off onto a county road, then you turn onto another county road, then you turn onto the gravel road that leads to their house. I turn onto the gravel road, and by the time I've already turned, it was too late. The road hadn't been plowed all winter, and I was hopelessly stuck. It didn't help that only my front wheels were stuck (mostly), and my car is front wheel drive. Oh well.

Thank goodness for jeans and sturdy boots! I kicked the snow out from under my wheels, then backed up about 3 inches. Kicked the snow out again. Moved 3 inches. There had to be a better way. Investigating what was in the trunk of my car (hoping for blocks of wood to put under my wheels), I found a stack of paper plates! I shoved those under my wheels, and after several more rounds of backing up 3 inches/moving the paper plates/kicking snow - I finally got out. Halleluyah!

(Oh, in case you don't know what "muy importante" means - I believe it's Spanish for "very important" :D )

So the moral of the story is: if you live in SD, make sure you have wood blocks (or paper plates) and a shovel in your trunk. And as one of the girls I babysat said "well, it would have helped if you wouldn't have turned onto that road!" ....right. thanks. haha!

4 comments:

  1. Or you could just move to the South where we don't have that problem very often, if ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't think I've ever had a situation where I've needed paper plates to get out of snow. To be completely, honest, I don't think I've ever even SEEN anyone stuck in snow, let alone gotten stuck myself. On the other hand, plywood to get the van out of a fix-inch-deep hole of muck? Essential! The tractor does come in handy there as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mike: ha! I could... maybe someday.

    @Mac: you know, I hope we get a HUGE snow storm when you come to SD this summer. Just so you can see what it's like. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That might be fun . . . if we could even get to your house in the blizzard :lol:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thought(s)! It means a lot. :)