Monday, January 10, 2011

trip down memory lane

Y'all wanna read the very first poem I ever wrote? (this was at age 7, btw) I remember I was riding home with my family, and *snap* - there was the poem in my head. As soon as we got home, I wrote it down, then decided to use it for my daily paper for school. Sadly, the poem in my head didn't fill a whole sheet of paper, so I had to add a few more lines. Those are the ones toward the end that break the rhyming code. :D But the last two lines were part of what was in my head at the beginning. So enjoy!

(oh, might I mention, this is exactly how I wrote it... so excuse the poor spelling and grammar please?)

India's Poem (original, I know :P )

Thanks for sun, rain, wind and snow.
Thanks for the moon with it's shiney glow.
Thanks for apples, they are sweet.
Thanks for flowers, they are a treat.
Thanks for dogs and thanks for cats.
Thanks for frogs and flying bats.
Thanks for trees and thanks for bees.
Thanks for toys and thanks for boys.
Thanks for grass and my bike of brass.
Thanks for cooks and books and brooks.
And thanks for Jesus Christ, God's son,
Who died for me and everyone!

(Wow did I laugh as I typed that up. Wow. :D And Mom says "Well, you know, Helen Steiner Rice had to start somewhere too!" hahaha!)

9 comments:

  1. It's a great start! Have you ever thought of making it into a photo-book? It would be an awesome children's book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *she reads with tears* mm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh good idea Caitlin! You could add little colorful stick-figure type illustrations :-)

    What a fun little poem! It reminds me of the poems I used to do for school back in 3rd to 5th grade :-) The toys and boys cracked me up, as did the frogs and flying bats :-D Now I may need to dig up some of my old poems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really laughed hard at "Thanks for the boys".
    India!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely laughed at that part too! So funny! You really should make it into a children's book. It would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fourth(?) the motion to make it into a children's book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you were 7!?!? WOW!!! I could't even do that now!! GOOD job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it India! You really should try a children's book with it : D

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Caitlin: Thanks! No, I haven't thought of that until now! I'll have to look into it.

    @Mom: I know ;( I'm just all growed up.

    @Mac: Do it!! I wanna see that on your blog :D

    @Leslie: HAHA! I know... but give me a break, I was only 7 ;) :D

    @Zoe: Thanks!!

    @Tori: haha thanks girl! I might have to try it...

    @Lydia: Haha! Well, thank you :)

    @Hattie: Thank you! Yeah, that would be neat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thought(s)! It means a lot. :)