Friday, January 1, 2010

wasting my life.... ?? for real?

Ladies and gentlemen, dear friends, family and readers. I have a problem. Well, not so much a problem, but a question that I'd love to get your opinion on. First though, I do need to do the obligatory .....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! *dances* *parties* *sings* *drinks apple cider* *turns up the music* etc. etc. Except ..... I don't really get why the big deal about the new year - but oh well. I go with the crowd on this one. ;) (yes some of you are allowed to be shocked)

Now to my problem. Issue. Question. Whatever. The actual part of the blog post that has to do with the title - haha. Lately, I have been getting asked a lot ''So, India, what are you going to do after you get your degree?'' .....well, to be honest, I'd love to get married and raise a family. And it's not just me, my family is behind me on this, and I believe it's God's will for my life as well. When I tell people that, the most common response I get is a laugh and ''India! You can't waste your life like that! You have such talent! Don't waste it India, don't waste it.'' (or something to that effect) I hear that, and I just laugh and shrug .... but something inside of me tears apart. Is it really a waste? Would I be ''wasting'' my life by getting married and raising a family? Is that a waste of the talents that God gave me? And not saying that I'm super talented, because I'm most certainly not - but God has indeed given everyone certain talents. It just makes me wonder if they are right -- should I be wishing for something 'higher'?

I have friends who have huge amazing dreams and plans .... and that is SO totally awesome!! The next generation will change the world - I just know it!! All I want to do is get married and raise a family .... nothing stupendous. Nothing to save the world. Nothing to change the world. Nothing like that .... so should I be aiming for something ''higher'' so to speak?

(sighs) I don't know. It's something I need to wrestle with and pray about for sure. At least, I know where God wants me now, and that's good. But the future? Oi it's so uncertain! Anyway, if anyone has thoughts or opinions on the ^^above .... do share! I'm curious as to what ya think. ;)

....and I'm off to write practice essays for a CLEP test on Monday. Have a great weekend everyone! Shalom!

WAIT! HOLD! (adds this in) a good friend of mine has started a story blog! He's a fellow CP! student and a Christian fantasy writer (and a very good one in my small opinion) - so get in on reading his newest story project here!
Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean... People have always asked me the same question, but I also feel that one of my greatest callings is to be a wife and mother. I just have to remember to follow the Lord and wait for him to reveal His plans to me. Although you might not see it now, He has a reason for giving you the talents you have. He didn't make them for no reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well ummm idk if I'm allowed to comment or not on here, so just rip it off if I'm not supposed to. :D
    ...Waste? Wasting your life? Wasting your life is more like a point of view, as far as people are concerned. :P I mean look at, say...our President. The Pope. Einstein. All those of the most great, brilliant, "talented" people in the world, women or not. (oh on the note of women who 'unwasted' lives, look at Clinton, Palin, all that crowd. Wasted or not? ;) ) Anyways...depends on what you call a waste.
    First of all...are you kidding me? For the record, being a lady, a mother, a wife and a homemaker is NOT a waste, for crying out loud...and that's coming from a guy! :P I can't even understand all of it(never will), and I can just see from watching what a hard, but good lifelong work that is! That is not any kind of wasted life, I don't know who you're talking to. :P Raising up another generation of godly servants is harder than most jobs people consider 'unwasted lives.' For moms and dads alike!

    Now of course, that's totally not saying that God couldn't use someone's life in other ways...He's done it in the past. God may very well have a call for anyone to do something HUGE in a direct way, there's no telling. Look at, oh, say, Joan of Arc. :D LOL! First, I would say...don't worry about what other people say/think. Other people are as insane as we are. People in general are wretched sinners, sorry to be blunt, but I wouldn't put too much stock in what OTHER people have to say about YOUR life. God has plans for each of our lives, and none of them are 'wasted.' God doesn't 'waste' His Servants' lives, let me tell you. I'd say just look into God's word, pray, and take whatever road you feel He's placed in your heart to do...regardless of whether others think its a waste or not. :) Be it becoming a great and godly mother, wife and homemaker or being the next math genius of the world, whichever He's planned for you. ;)

    "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." -Prov. 19:21

    P.S. I'm pretty sure it can apply to a 'woman' as well as a 'man' in this case. ;)

    P.P.S. Yeah, knowing me and my plans, I'd probably do good to listen to my own words once in a while, huh? :P

    ~Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments Kelsey and Alex! (and yes, of course you are allowed to post comments Alex)

    Right, I know deep inside that is how it should be ... it's just really hard sometimes when lots of older (wiser) people I look up to (my boss, aunts, uncles etc. etc.), tell me my life would be a waste if it takes that direction. Even coming from other godly Christian people! Anyhow, many thanks for the reassurance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. India,
    I would never consider that a waste. My mother has also gotten the “waste” talk a lot and I think it is pure ignorance. People do not know that mothers do do great things. They do not believe that “stay-at-home” moms have a lot of responsibilities and plenty to do. If you ask me, I would say that many moms these days waste their lives. They waste their lives by entering the workforce and pursuing their own dreams all the while thinking that God is pleased. These women are essentially taking on a double curse. The retain the curse on Eve (Genesis 3:16) and they take on the curse of Adam (Genesis 3:17-19). Also read Genesis 3:20 “The man called his wife's name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.” Women were made to “be the mother”. This is clearly what God designed them for.

    Another point, I believe that mothers do some of the greatest things! Training the “next” generation is one of the most important roles in society. I believe that we (as in America) need to be much more involved with the upbringing of our children. This is definitely not something to be taken lightly. The future of America literally depends on the “next” generation. So, that leads me to this conclusion, If the training and upbringing of children is so important, then why should this NOT be a full time occupation? Also, if God clearly made women to be keepers of the home and to “bring forth children”, then who are we to say otherwise?

    Anyways, these are just some thoughts from a HIGHLY opinionated friend. Please feel free to be offended or to agree.

    ~Sir Eric the Great, Royal Chaplain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Eric - I have never thought about the "double curse" thing before .... that puts a whole new light on everything. Thanks a lot for your thoughts. :)

    ~India

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you asked for it, so here it is. Why do people think it is a lesser thing for a women to want to be a wife or mother? Without wives and mothers where would this world be? Either void of people or we would all be drooling cavemen types without any manners. Thank the Lord for mothers and wives. God has given you the desire for a degree for some reason. What it is who knows but Him? You are very smart and desire to be a wife and mother. What's the problem? I know a lot of females despair about this at some point in life. The honest truth is that it is the most noble and God honouring things for a female to do. Behind every great man is a great mother. What you impart and how you impact those around you is how you will change the world for Christ. Love the Lord with your whole being, love thy neighbor and seek first the kingdom of God and your life will not be wasted. You have amazing talents and to through them away and not use them would be dishonoring to God. Think of Eric Liddle with his running or the life of George Baily in "It's a Wonderful Life." You won't have wasted anything if you have sought God above all and lived for Him no matter what He has called you to do. Thank the Lord for wives and mothers. We need more of them in this world today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to know there are actually people (1% though they may be ;) ) who hold this view. I shouldn't get discouraged about it but I do. Thanks Aaron.

    ~India

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thought(s)! It means a lot. :)